Our Lady of Messines
Historic site and monument , Heritage buildings , Religious building in Mons
Records show that there was an oratory of Saint Nicholas as early as 1182, and that it became a parish church in 1227. A new church was built in 1674 on Bertaimont Street before being demolished in 1799. The nearby church of the Récollets was devoted to parish worship in 1803: it consists of a neo-classical facade with pillars placed on the former Gothic frontage of the 15th century. Previously known as Saint Nicholas in Bertaimont, the church’s official name is now Our Lady of Messines.
- Spoken languages