Mons Card Partner: Free access
The “marsh house,” a place in which Van Gogh lived from August 1879 to October 1880, almost fell into decay. It was saved from ruin by a group of volunteers between 1972 and 1975, when the Tourist Office took on the job. Following a recent restoration (2005 - 2007), visitors are welcomed in a new setting, including a reception centre and a scenic walking trail. Do not miss the reproductions of works and documents from the period, facsimiles of letters written by the artist, the multilingual audio-visual montage (F/NL/EN/D), the multilingual interactive terminals in eight languages, including Japanese, the salon furnished in period style, and above all the original work “The Diggers,” done in 1880 in Cuesmes.